Corporation Park features

Principle entrance

Main EntranceThe main entrance to the park is from Preston New Road under a handsome archway with flanking lodges.

The gateway has a large central archway for carriages and smaller side arches for the foot ways. The Borough Arms appear above the arches on both sides of the entrance. In the gateway are inserted two tablets, recording the planning and opening of the park.

Conservatory

ConservatoryA fine example of a Victorian cast iron conservatory was erected in 1900 and is now a grade II listed building. It is situated close to West Park Lodge.

There is a central rectangular portion which is gabled with a clock in the front pediment and it also has a central louvred chimney.

The building is all glass and iron, richly ornamented with arches, pierced spandrels and columns. The mid section was designed to house exotic flora, with the wings being cooler to house displays of plants enjoying a similar climate to our own.

We are currently working with the Corporation Park Supporters Group to submit an application to the HLF (Heritage Lottery Fund). If successful this will enable the restoration of this historic building.

Adjacent to the conservatory is an aviary, opened in 1958 and still housing a collection of birds.

Battlements and Panoptican

This viewing platform stands 213.5m above sea level, compared to the main entrance at just 130m, allowing long views over Blackburn and the West Pennine Moors.

Two cannons were once here, having been captured at Sebastopol and presented to the borough by Lord Panmure, Secretary of War as a reminder of the British victories in the Crimean War. They were mounted at the top of the park in 1857 on a specially built 'battery'.

Garden of Remembrance

A formal Garden of Remembrance, laid out in 1922 and also a war memorial are just beyond the entrance

FountainFountain

Adjacent to the remembrance garden is a fountain, one of four fountains gifted to the park by the then Mayor, William Pilkington, who performed the opening ceremony. The fountain formerly had a gravity-fed jet which rose 23m into the air.

Lakes

The park has two picturesque lakes. The larger water feature is known as 'the Big Can' and was formed from a pre-existing reservoir, Pemberton Clough.

This was created in 1772 and was the town's water supply. Wooden pipes were laid to the town's stand pipes until installation of the mains water in 1847. People were charged a penny per bucketful of water.

The smaller lake is known as 'the Can' because people took cans to the lake to draw water.

Lodges

In addition to the lodges at the main entrance there are two other porter's lodges at East and West Park Road entrances. There are also ten other smaller entrances around the boundary of the park.

Statues

A statue of Flora, the Roman goddess, was presented to the park in 1871 by Mr T H Fairhurst.

It was the work of Thomas Allen of Liverpool, who moved to Blackburn in 1870 and provided the town with several pieces of art, Flora being the first. The carving on Sir Charles Napier public house is another example of his work.

Flora, was a Roman goddess that made trees bloom, a pre-requisite for all fruits, but later she became protector of the spring and everything that blooms, including flowers.

Stream

Snig Brook flows down the park through the lakes, broken only by waterfalls and pools

Tree lined avenue

The Broad Walk forms the main axis of the park, an avenue of magnificent lime trees marks its southern edge. It is an impressive walkway constructed 1863-4 by unemployed weavers during the cotton famine.

Here on Sundays 'crowds of young men and maidens would walk four or five abreast, promenading from end to end between 3 o'clock and 4.30' (Blackburn Times, 1936)

 

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option