History and features of the park

History

In 1879 14 acres of the park were opened with further land being added in 1887.

In 1899, the ground fronting onto Bolton Road was added with the final addition taking place in 1902.

Features of the park

At the main entrance, off to the left, lies a bowling green and children's play area, occupying the former White Hall Mill.

From the entrance a walk leads up a gentle slope through shrubberies and borders, with a side path leading in from a lych gate on Whitehall Road.

Catlow drinking fountain

Higher up the path passes the former spring-fed Catlow drinking fountain. This was restored in 2010 by the friends of Whitehall Park. It is a wrought iron canopied structure supported by eight ornamental columns and spandril arches, each having a panel in which are placed Royal figures.

Beyond the walled track which divides the park the path rises more steeply, with the main feature being a stream, broken by a series of falls and pools. In the main pool stands the cast iron Lightbown fountain presented to the park in 1886 by the then Mayoress, Mrs. Alderman T. Lightbown.

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option