The Maces of the Council

The First Mace of Blackburn Borough Council

The first Mace was presented to the Council by James Cunningham in November 1859 during his year of office as the Mayor. It consists of an ebony handle with silver at the crown and foot.


The Mace of the County Borough of Blackburn.jpg

The current Mace is of solid silver gilt and was made by the Goldsmiths and Silversmiths Company Ltd in London. It is decorated in the form of emblems relating to civic life and industries of the Borough and was purchased by the Council to commemorate the Coronation of King George V on June 22nd 1911. 


The Mace of Darwen Borough Council.

The Mace of Darwen Borough Council is made of sterling silver and was made by T&J Bragg in Birmingham in 1878. The crown of the Mace is decorated with the Darwen Coat of Arms.

We use cookies, just to track visits to our website, we store no personal details. Show ACCEPT COOKIES / DECLINE COOKIES option